August 23, 2015

Fav Movies of 2010

For those looking for some viewing suggestions, here's my list of favourite movies from 2010



10. The Kids Are All Right: This critically acclaimed film (it won 2 Golden Globes and was nominated for 4 Oscars) is one of those quirky family films, centering on a family with 2 mothers and their run-ins with their children's biological father. This movie will make you laugh and cry, and appreciate your own family.



9. The Social Network: While the script was sharp, the acting and casting really made this film for me. Jesse Eisenberg is believably jaded and callous, poor Andrew Garfield is the friend just trying to do the right thing, and Justin Timberlake is a dick. Honestly, I had no interest in this film until all the critical acclaim swept in, and then I only watched it at the request of a friend. Definitely surprised by how much I liked this one!



8. Despicable Me: Confession, I LOVE Steve Carell, and besides the adorableness of the minions, he is the reason I watched this movie. I was not disappointed, not only is this a heart-warming children's film with a happy ending (oops...spoiler), this is hilarious and just all around awesome. You do not need to be a kid or have a kid to watch this film!



7. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: This was one of my favourite books as a child, I love fantasy, and I loved the idea of sailing to the edge of the world to find the 7 lost lords. Also can we just admire how truly terrible Eustace is? Even his name is awful! Anyways, as a huge fan of the book, I did manage to see this film in theatres (and 3D no less), and was sobbing openly at the end. While it was not a completely faithful adaption, it was beautiful in its own way.



6. Black Swan: Natalie Portman deserved that Best Actress Oscar, the role of the unraveling ballerina was perfect for her. She kept the audience guessing if what she saw was real or fabricated. The setting of the ballet only increased the tension for the twist ending. Definitely a film that people are still talking about!



5. Kick-Ass: I love fun films, and this one was perfect! A goofy concept, but it works overall! Can I first shout out to Mark Strong and Christopher Mintz-Plasse who were the perfectly hilarious villians. I love comic book movies, and this was the perfect balance of parody and heart!



4. Red: In the same genre as Kick-Ass, I loved Red as well! Perfect casting, with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Karl Urban, and of course the talented Helen Mirren. Bonus points in this movie for not only being hilarious and action-packed but also partially filmed in Toronto!



3. Easy A: Yes, I love chick flicks and teen comedies. But this one is actually good! Definitely in my top 20 favourite teen movies (oooo, that could be an interesting blog post). Emma Stone is her usual goofy charming self, she starts a lie, and her whole life blows up because of it. Lesson learned! Also love the throwbacks to 80's movies they slide in here!



2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I: So much happens in the film, and of course I bawled. Emotions all over from this one! A great film and an amazing cast and of course a fantastic story. Seriously if you still haven't read the books - drop everything you're doing and do it now!



1. Toy Story 3: Anyone who doesn't love this movie or rank it in their best of 2010 is either heartless or lying. FANTASTIC movie! All of the feels! Seriously, go watch it yourself and I dare you not to cry. I feel like this film hit us Gen Xers more knowing that we grew up with Toy Story and Toy Story 2, and Andy has now grown up with us *sniff*

Do you agree or disagree with my picks? Any movies from 2010 I should check out?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment